Tuesday, June 20, 2017

“My heart is nearly broken,” he wrote a friend.

------------
Tara Ross
18 hrs
“Listening to them, it seemed as if a veil was lifted and I saw myself . . . as others see me, a poor old woman, suited for fashionable gaieties, a hindrance instead of helpmeet to the man I adore,” Rachel is reported to have told her niece after overhearing women talk about her."
Rachel Jackson would pass away just a few months before her husband was inaugurated. The new President believed the political attacks during the campaign had undermined Rachel's health.
“My heart is nearly broken,” he wrote a friend. “I try to summon up my usual fortitude but it is in vain.”
Jackson once fought a duel to protect Rachel's honor! I'll include a link to my story on that in the comments, for anyone who missed it the first time. 
Rachel Jackson ran away from her husband and got divorced to marry Andrew, an incident that haunted her for life
SMITHSONIANMAG.COM
------------

No comments:

Post a Comment