Saturday, August 13, 2016

And he was young just like us not so long ago.

---------
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/08/there_was_no_one_better_than_p.html#incart_river_index

There was no one better than Pete Finney


Peter Finney was honored in 2013 as the 24th Joe Gemelli Fleur de Lis Award recipient for his contributions to the New Orleans Saints organization, journalism and the community during the 25th annual Saints Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. (David Grunfeld)

By Ron Higgins, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 13, 2016

ete Finney died Saturday, and Heaven just got someone who had such style, grace and good humor that he made everything in his 88 years on this planet look like a breeze.

He was the best sports columnist in this state's history, and there's not even a close second.
Read more....http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/08/there_was_no_one_better_than_p.html#incart_river_index
-------
And he was young just like us not so long ago. And he seem to have better manners in asking the people of his professional interest what he wanted to know. All about the experiences they were having that his newspaper readers might like knowing.

And now after hearing about his death that is what I remember the most about Mr. Finney, how polite he was going after the story. And treating those other people with real respect.

And of course that he is a very good writer.
 
lolarites
:
Anyone who values the Morning Call over Cafe DuMonde is a true New Orleanian. I remember when the Morning Call had car hops. Finney is the last of New Orleans great newpaper sports writers since the Newhouse people have destroyed the newspaper which has been printing since 1837. He can never be replaced. I can only imagine the poker games between him and Hap and Buddy. They will need a fourth, probably Black Cat Lacombe.
cnolla29
:
Finney's knowledge in many categories was unmatched. He was and always will be part of New Orleans. He kept it real. And even in his older years he stayed current with the trendy language and fads. My condolences to the family. God bless
roneagle72
All through grade school, high school, college, I always read the sports pages first. There was Hap on TV for sure. But I STILL needed to know what Pete Finney had to say. Even before the comics. I read the sports pages first, and read Pete Finney first. Reading him, for me, was like being there. I couldn't wait to buy his book a few months ago. I highly recommend it!! Thanks Finney Jr. for telling more of his stories for us. 
ELSWHO
I met Mr. Finney many years ago through another great sports journalist and editor on television and radio, Mr. Hap Glaudi. Both Mr. Finney and Mr. Glaudi were classified as New Orleans best, when it came to sports reporting and coverage. Mr Finney, may your soul rest in peace, and my sincere condolences go out to all of your family members, for we all lost one, once in a lifetime columnist.
fatdaddy112754
:
I started reading Pete Finney in 1980 and I sometimes hated some of his columns because I was young and wanted the Saints to be winners. The truth was Finney was almost always right about what was wrong with the Saints and I grew to always respect what he wrote. What a fantastic career he had. May he Rest in Peace.
Jim Derry, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
When I began working in the Sports department as a kid cutting up agate type and posting it on the "scoreboard page" in 1990, I was in awe when he would walk in. He was not just a fantastic storyteller, but he was a New Orleans icon. I always felt like I was in the presence of greatness. I remember watching the "Christian Laettner shot" in 1992 with him standing right next to me, and having time to talk to him about it immediately afterward. I think about that every time I see that highlight. As inconsequential as it was to him, it was one of the highlights of my young career. I wanted to be like him. He will never be forgotten, and although this phrase is used entirely too much, it applies to Pete: He was one of a kin
-------

No comments:

Post a Comment